They werent playing basketball. Dick Clark gave her a committee card, which all Regulars had to have to get into the building. He was also reportedly involved in a prostitution ring and brought up on morals charges. Oldies. We went downtown, and I ran to the back of the bus the way I always did in Philly but Barbara and her friend kept telling me to come to the front. Some of the stories I heard are heartbreaking, Sullivan recalls. While Bandstand fans across the country imagined a true romantic relationship between Sullivan, who secretly liked girls, and her on-screen companion, Rossi, who was straight, she says it was little more than made-for-TV puppy love. We were the first reality show, she adds. This development created a sometimes heated rivalry between Dick Clark and Buddy Deane, when performers who appeared first on Deane's program were refused booking on American Bandstand. They went back to her office to look at old photos on the computer. Bob 'Showboat' Hall . CD (Digipak) with 36-page booklet, 23 tracks. The show had just "gone national" on the ABC television network on August 5th. Wed stay up all night talking about boys, she said. Carole Ann Scaldeferri Spada, 70, of Newtown Square, a regular dancer on American Bandstand from 1957 to 1961, has died. American Bandstand's Official East Coast Fan Club President. He debuted in Studio 3B at WFIL-TV, near the El train stop in West Philadelphia, in 1956 when he was a 13-year-old junior high school student. Sometimes, he would come home from school and turn on the show. [The knowledge about the dancers] would have destroyed himand the . They split their time between Dolan Springs and Venice. In particular, Arlene remembers him singing Because of You by Tony Bennett. Copyright 2022 WGCU. and scheduled the program at 3:30pm ETalmost in the middle of Bandstand. Kenny Rossi became a pop star in his own right, with hits such as But I Do and Open Your Heart. Pat Molittieri also had a few hit singles before pursuing acting; she died in 1975. "The whole thing was like a grand party," she said. The afternoon soon turned into the cocktail-hour, so they went out for drinks. It's now a Guinness World Record, Collier County issues burn ban; Fire fought on Wilson Boulevard. And the one thing that really shocked me was that those boys who were 14 and 15 and 16 were sleeping with each other.. The couple, born again Christians, run a no-smoking, no-gossip beauty shop in the Philadelphia suburbs. Sometimes, he would come home from school and turn on the show. He still treats me like Im the queen of the hop, Justine said. Last edited on 22 February 2023, at 03:03, The Dick Clark Saturday Night Beech-Nut Show, Top of newscast salutes to Clark deserved, "Did the Beatles kill America's radio stars? American Bandstand, abbreviated AB, is an American music-performance and dance television program that aired in various versions that aired regularly from 1952 to 1989, and was hosted from 1956 until its final season by Dick Clark, who also served as the program's producer.It featured teenagers dancing to Top 40 music introduced by Clark; at least one popular musical actover the decades . I hope more people of the past can enjoy their past by checking Bandstand Dairies,looking things up on the computer and contact your old fiends. Here are some of the most popular Regulars who danced on Dick Clarks American Bandstand beginning in 1957. The latest news and how to stay informed. If it wasnt assaults from outside haters, some of the Bandstand kids suffered in their own homes. by Sharon Sultan Cutler | Jan 7, 2019 | American Bandstand, Philadelphia, Regulars | 8 comments. West Philadelphia, North Philadelphia, Jersey you learned the different styles of the same dances., The Regulars did the Pony, Jitterbug, Calypso, Cha-cha and a slow dance that she says wasnt exactly a waltz: The kids didnt stand in one spot. I was SO mixed up., Today, Arlene Sullivan lives with a partner and, despite having suffered strokes, still loves to dance. But he feared that if the shows secret ever came out, Middle America would change the channel. We danced and it was like we had never stopped, says Clayton, 70, who owns a gift boutique in Delaware (Carrelli, 68, sells real estate in Arizona). Jim Miller was in junior high, living on Long Island, New York, when Bandstand became a national hit. Thats why Elvis Presley and Ricky Nelson would never appear on the show, but movie stars Jeff Chandler, Tab Hunter, Sal Mineo came., Dancing came naturally to Sullivan, the way it did to all Regulars, she says. Two weeks later, Bandstand moved to first-run syndication. Themselves - Dancers 1 episode, 1962 Tony Brady . On September 13, 1969, the Bandstand set was given a complete overhaul and Les Elgart's big band version of "Bandstand Boogie" was replaced by the Mike Curb theme. So I went on the computer and Googled Justine Carrelli.. Picture indicates this was in the 1970s. Both were ratings disasters. I met Arlene in 1961 she was very sweet.Unfortunely I never got to meet Kenny. Arlene asked him to dance and thus Arlene and Kenny happened. He sometimes wondered what happened to Justine, especially around New Years Eve when he would watch Dick Clark host his special. They werent playing baseball they were DANCING. Bandstand originally used "High Society" by Artie Shaw as its theme song, but by the time the show went national, it had been replaced by various arrangements of Charles Albertine's "Bandstand Boogie", including Les Elgart's big-band recording remembered by viewers of the daily version. He had no idea if she was married. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. Unsure and fearful about her true sexual identity, Sullivan tried passing as straight. These cookies ensure basic functionalities and security features of the website, anonymously. Sullivans co-author, Ray Smith, recently retired after 40 years as an Emmy-winning Today show producer. The show's popularity helped Dick Clark become an American media mogul and inspired similar long-running music programs, such as Soul Train and British series Top of the Pops. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other. On May 3, 2002, Dick Clark hosted a one-off special 50th anniversary edition on ABC. In 1972, after a divorced Carole appeared on a reunion show, Spada sent a letter to her and they married later that year. On July 9, 1956, Horn was fired after a drunk-driving arrest, as WFIL and dual owner Walter Annenberg's The Philadelphia Inquirer were then When ABC picked up the game show Do You Trust Your Wife? To this day, oh so many years have passed, and yet I still feel the magic of Arlene and Kenny!!! [42], Bandstand "regulars" from the Philadelphia years, Move from ABC to syndication and the USA Network, AMERICAN BANDSTAND (1987 Closing Credits - ABC Finale), Laura Branigan - Shattered Glass & Interview - AB (1987). The bashing of Bandstand regulars, gay and straight, happened all the time, Sullivan and Smith reveal. Parents across America would never, NEVER have allowed their kids to put Bandstand on, she writes. The whole thing was like a grand party, she said. Justine Carelli and Bob Clayton . In fact, she was "the first female car racer at . such material remains the copyrig. Reporters and bloggers, alike, Can the Democratic Party regain strength in Florida? Touch device users, explore by touch or with swipe gestures. Who were the most popular dancers on American Bandstand? Dick Clark, wherever you are, we miss you. The Beach Boys were already the kings of surf pop by their first appearance on American Bandstand in 1964. There were occasional shows that were not hosted by Clark, in which case a substitute host (among them Rick Azar) was brought in.[6]. It was horrible., Smith says he was lucky to have escaped a beating. This version introduced lyrics written by Manilow and Bruce Sussman, referencing elements of the series. Carole Ann Scaldeferri Spada, 70, of Newtown Square, a regular dancer on American Bandstand from 1957 to 1961, died Sunday, Dec. 8, of congestive heart failure at a Springfield hospital. Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance". He died Jan. 19, 2009, at age 64. It was shot live from Studio B at Forty-Sixth and and Market Streets, where the two . The only singer to ever co-host the show with Dick Clark was Donna Summer, who joined him to present a special episode dedicated to the release of the Casablanca film Thank God It's Friday on May 27, 1978. My favorite dance was the Jitterbug the last dance where people danced together. [36] Clark remained as executive producer. "[5] In one humorous segment broadcast for years on retrospective shows, comedians Cheech and Chong appeared as the record raters. Carmen Jimenez, a regular from 1957 to 1961 who now works as a social worker, remembered the strange sensation of having fans, including one who started sobbing at the sight of the dancers in a hamburger joint. The previous theme was retained as bumper music. In the first year after Dick Clark took over as host in the summer of 1956, Bandstand remained a popular local hit, but it took Clarks ambition to help it break out. What a Beautiful love story..Kenny and Arlene were my favorite couple on Bandstand.. Set pieces from Soul Unlimited were utilized by Bandstand for its 19741978 set design. The original "Bandstand," as it was called in 1952, was first hosted by deejay Bob Horn, who later was fired due to a drunk-driving conviction.. . A lot of good time, super songs and singers. "With Bandstand, WFIL resolved this tension by drawing on Philadelphia's interracial music scene to create an entertaining and profitable television show, while refusing to allow the city's black teenagers into the studio audience for fear of alienating viewers and advertisers. I still really didnt know who I was. What they didnt know was that Arlene and several of the other female dancers, and most of the handsome teen boys, were gay. ``I just hit 50 and I feel like Im 14 today. Making matters worse, on September 13, 1986, ABC reduced Bandstand from a full hour to 30 minutes;[13] at Clark's request, the 2,751st and final ABC installment[14] (with Laura Branigan[15] performing "Shattered Glass"[16][17]) aired on September 5, 1987. That was the start of our romance, Jim said. The first syndicated episode aired on the weekend of September 19, 1987[26] but this run was short-lived; The New American Bandstand ran until the weekend of June 4, 1988. And now we have computers. American Bandstand played a crucial role in introducing Americans to such famous artists as Prince, Jackson 5, Sonny and Cher, Aerosmith, and John Lydon's PiLall of whom made their American TV debuts on the show. . Artists would sing naturally to the studio audience over a background of their own disc, while viewers at home would hear only the original recording. Bandstand Diaries co-author Arlene Sullivan wrote about meeting Kenny in script. Horn, however, was disenchanted with the program, and wanted to change the show to a dance program with teenagers dancing along on camera as records played, based on an idea that came from a radio show on WPEN, The 950 Club, hosted by Joe Grady and Ed Hurst. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary". Well, it's our last show here on Bandstand and I really want to thank the viewers who have kept American Bandstand on the air all these years. He found her selling real estate in Dolan Springs, Arizona, population 1,989. But I didnt have any crushes on any of the straight girls. Connie Francis. Browse celebrity nostalgia on our website. They lost touch over the years. Dick Clark Productions is credited as the show's co-producer, and longtime employee Allen Shapiro serves as co-executive producer. It featured teenagers dancing to Top 40 music introduced by Clark; at least one popular musical actover the decades, running the gamut from Jerry Lee Lewis to RunD.M.C.usually appeared in person to lip-sync one of their latest singles. They got married in 2014, something both said they would never do again. She was in that category.. 1960s. This started with "'65", then "'66", "'67", "'68" and "'69" when each year arrived. Im sorry young lady, you dont look 14 to me, was his answer. They were some of the most famous kids in America, dancing every day on "American Bandstand." "We were like miniature rock 'n' roll stars. FOR SALE! Sullivan was almost 14, the required age for the show, when she became a Regular. Besides launching singers, ``Bandstand propelled its regulars from obscure adolescents into trendsetters. During the segment, two audience members each ranked two records on a scale of 35 to 98, after which their two opinions were averaged by Clark, who then asked the chosen members to justify their scores. Dick Clark hosts a daily to weekly dance show that features the latest hit music for the attending teens to dance to. To recognize the anniversary, Gov. They were a beautiful couple, I named my daughter Arlene in 1958, I enjoyed watching them so much, would hurry up and come home from school to watch AB. He was married to Tahitian dancer Mireille of the Mai-Kai Restaurant in Fort Lauderdale. Her husband, Richard Spada, said Mrs. Spada was recovering from a minor stroke she had suffered earlier when she became ill on the way . The name most associated with American Bandstand is that of Dick Clark, but when it premiered locally in Philadelphia on October 7, 1952 (as "Bandtstand") the host was Bob Horn. American Bandstand, abbreviated AB, is an American music-performance and dance television program that aired in various versions that aired regularly from 1952 to 1989, and was hosted from 1956 until its final season by Dick Clark, who also served as the program's producer.It featured teenagers dancing to Top 40 music introduced by Clark; at least one popular musical actover the decades . Her sister, Ivette Jimenez, recalled the thrill of having an admirer from Seattle send her a check for a car. In August 1957, American Bandstand, a new television show broadcast out of Philadelphia, PA, featured local teenagers dancing to the new rock 'n roll music. 1 Who were the most popular dancers on American Bandstand? We didnt say anything about meeting again, Justine said. Once a week, she goes to a hop thrown by another Bandstand original, 76-year-old Philadelphia radio and TV personality Jerry Blavat, who bills himself as The Geator with the Heater and The Boss with the Hot Sauce.. But I would still be his girl.. best known for his love of music and dancing on American . Clark was determined to keep the homosexuality of popular Bandstand regulars a secret, Smith said. Bob and Justine share their memories of the late Dick Clark and more A: Though they split in 1960 after three-plus years of jitterbugging on the Dick Clark-hosted show, they were happy to see . Hints. Movies Showing. Carole Ann Scaldeferri Spada, 70, of Newtown Square, a regular dancer on American Bandstand from 1957 to 1961, has died. Rock'n'Roll, Rockabilly, Dance-Twist, Limited edition DIGI pack DIGIBOOK CD kiadvny, 2023. Some regulars had a hard time adjusting after leaving the show. Featuring guest artists who lip-synced to their latest tunes, and a teenage audience whose members danced for the cameras, the show launched a conga line of dance crazes, fashion and hair trends, and sent the latest teen . He introduced her to his sister and neighbors, who remembered her from Bandstand.. host of American Bandstand. Who are the couples on Bandstand in real life? . They enjoyed walks in the park , and going to the drive-in movies with Barbara Leveick and her boyfriend at the time. Cookie Policy Justine went home humiliated, but her mother suggested she take her older sisters birth certificate to the show the next day. Or sign up for our monthly Nostalgia e-newsletter or other e-newsletters tailored for boomers! And then they leave the show, go up on the El, go home to their neighborhoods, they then had to run to their door because somebody was always waiting there to beat them up.. The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional". 7 Who are the couples on Bandstand in real life? In addition, the show has performances by popular musicians and audience members rate songs. When cute young teenagers Arlene Sullivan and Kenny Rossi slow danced together on American Bandstand back in the late 50s and early 60s, kids across the country swooned. Bob retired after being in the shoe business and the chemical business, where he often worked 18 hour days. The big teenybopper magazines of the era Sixteen and Teen plastered Bandstand dancers on their covers and wrote glowing, gossipy stories about their lives in Philadelphia, where Dick Clark produced the show. Don Cornelius, the creator and host of Soul Train, along with Jesse Jackson, entered into a dispute with Clark over this upstart program, and it was canceled within a few weeks. The kids of today missed out. With 37 continuous years on the air, this was the longest-running weekly popular music showcase TV program in the world. Throughout the rest of the 1950s, American Bandstand featured a number of famous acts including the debut of Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel (November 22, 1957), Jerry Lee Lewis (March 18, 1958), and Dion and the Belmonts (August 7, 1958). Kenny loved to sing. The young dancers on American Bandstand were the reality stars of the 1950s and '60skids nationwide rushed home to watch their every move and chatter about their relationships and exploits. Other performers including Brandy, members of KISS, Dennis Quaid and his band The Sharks, Cher, and Stevie Wonder also performed to remember the iconic program.[41]. Explore. Clark, known as Americas oldest teenager, knew. He introduced her to his sister and neighbors, who remembered her from Bandstand.. It was great to be young and having fun like all normal kids in the 50s and 60s. Arlene Sullivan and Kenny Rossi danced together n American Bandstand for a little more than a year. Justine got in, and along with her dance partner and soon-to-be-boyfriend, Bob Clayton, became one of the shows most popular couples. The show was American Bandstand, and Dick Clarks clean-cut style meant the program had parents stamp of approval. He still treats me like Im the queen of the hop, Justine said. The increase in competition hurt Bandstand and the variety of options for music on TV decreased its relevance. April 18, 2012. They dont look at middle school kids or junior high kids, he said. Justine went home humiliated, but her mother suggested she take her older sisters birth certificate to the show the next day. American Bandstand Dancers Justine Carrelli Miller and Bob Clayton Soul Unlimited was not well-received among its target audience of African-Americans, ostensibly due to its being created by a white man (Clark), and because of its alleged usage of deliberately racial overtones despite this fact. Fifty years later, Bandstand fan Sharon Sultan Cutler wondered what had become of the "Regulars," the name given to the teens that showed up daily to dance. Jim joined the military, went through several jobs after getting out, got married, had three kids, became a widower at a young age, spent 23 years working in San Diego and moved to Venice, Florida to retire. From September 13, 1986, to September 5, 1987, Manilow's version was replaced at the close of the show by a new closing theme arranged by David Russo, who also performed an updated instrumental arrangement of "Bandstand Boogie" when Bandstand went into syndication. The Village People performed their legendary song, "YMCA" for the audience in Pasadena, California. (1957), Kenny Rogers and Arlene Sullivan were my favorites on American Bandstand. For a time, she dated a neighborhood boy, Danny Rapp, lead singer of Danny & the Juniors, who had the hit song At the Hop., I was so afraid that I started trying to talk myself into being straight, Sullivan says. Also available in a computer colorized version. We'll see you then. Jim joined the military, went through several jobs after getting out, got married, had three kids, became a widower at a young age, spent 23 years working in San Diego and moved to Venice, Florida to retire. Q: What happened to my favorite American Bandstand couple, Justine Carrelli and Bob Clayton? Watch American Bandstand 1950s: Justine Carrelli and Bob Cayton highlighted on American Bandstand. JUST TO WATCH AMERICAN BANDSTAND. Arlene Sullivan, a star on Bandstand, is now 74. Delmont, Matthew F. (September 30, 2014). Lers. Artie Shaw Prior to the move, Bandstand had sourced many of its up-and-coming acts from Philadelphia's Cameo-Parkway Records. passed away at home on November 6, 2016. The lunch was a success. . His latest book, The Kardashians: An American Drama, will be published in September. After his first marriage ended, Kenny eventually remarried and had a son, Jonathan. The show's most popular dance team of Bob Clayton and Justine Carrelli even cut their own record. If this is what 50 is like, who cares?, Connect with the definitive source for global and local news. He co-owned a gift boutique with his second wife, Lutz is. Browse celebrity nostalgia on our website. Required fields are marked *, Bandstand Diaries: The Philadelphia Years 1956 - 1963. Arelene, whose mother was a devoted fan, claims she danced on the show "to get my mother's attention." Within three months, Arlene was a regular appearing five days a . We regret any confusion this caused.] It became a staple in homes and heavily influenced American society culturally, musically, and socially. The parents of one kid on the show found out that he was gay . These teenagers became the nation's first reality-TV stars--they received thousands of fan letters and were mobbed everywhere they went. On Bandstand, she became lifelong friends with one of the celebrity guests, straight Annette Funicello, of Mickey Mouse Club and Beach Party fame. That was funny, Jim said, because in April its my brother-in-law and sisters anniversary and we are planning to go to Hawaii. He found her selling real estate in Dolan Springs, Arizona, population 1,989. He would dance on the show until early 1960. As Sullivan puts it: The boys danced. However, you may visit "Cookie Settings" to provide a controlled consent. I got stopped at the door and said to the cop, but Lucille and Diane got in and theyre in my class, she said. I got stopped at the door and said to the cop, but Lucille and Diane got in and theyre in my class, she said. American Bandstand: With Dick Clark, Charlie O'Donnell, Peaches Johnson, Stan Rodarte. They had four top 10 pop hits and "Don't Worry, Baby" was the B-side to their first #1 "I Get Around." That really annoyed me because quite a few of the Philadelphia dancers on Bandstand died of AIDS, Smith said. But just like a lot of today's showmances are concocted, many of the Bandstand boppers were harboring a big secret: They . I kissed a girl, and I liked it! Sullivan, now 74 and long out of the closet, reveals in a fascinating self-published book, Bandstand Diaries billed as The Book Youve Waited Over 50 Years to Read!. Once the program went national upon its move to Los Angeles, new host Dick Clark decided that integration was the most responsible move. When Bandstand first went national with ABC in August 1957, Lee Andrews and the Hearts appeared among the first guests performing their song, "Long Lonely Nights." In that year as well, other black artists also appeared, including Jackie Wilson . The other reason was that American Bandstand was pre-empted on many occasions by televised college football games (which expanded greatly in number in the wake of a court-ordered deregulation in 1984) which were becoming huge ratings successes, as well as occasional special presentations (i.e. At just 13 and 16, respectively, the twosome became regulars on the Dick Clark-hosted show, dancing as a couple for almost three years before they parted ways. in the 50s and 60s passed today. After a ten-month hiatus,[27] Bandstand moved to cable on USA Network[28][29] on April 8, 1989,[30] with comedian David Hirsch[31][32][33][34][35] taking over hosting duties.
Porter County Circuit Court Judge, Articles A