Posted on December 5, 2021. Hannah Witheridge, 23, and David Miller, 24, from the UK. The final theory, is all down to money. After checking into the resort, the couple headed down to the pool for a swim while Ratish went for a walk on the beach. Thailand is very conservative in regards to nudity and sex. But, his sister Maria and the family told the BBC they would not rely on what Thai police said as there was still speculation over the circumstances surrounding the death - and that they had received 'different versions' of what might have happened. How Hannah got involved wasn't mentioned in this theory beyond, they knew they were together. These are the first pictures of the British tourists murdered on a paradise beach in Thailand. It was obvious to us what was happening, they'd been bribed by the mafia. Most are running guesthouses, eateries and scuba-diving operations or working as diving instructors. They weren't looked down upon or treated poorly at all. I have traveled to Thailand almost 20 times. Koh Tao murders: suspects in killing of David Miller and Hannah Witheridge say they were framed. Rumours go that a couple very influential families, kind of like Koh Tao Mafia style, rule the island. I genuinely think she is telling the truth. They will also look at any health conditions that might have been a factor. They raped and killed Hannah, and killed David who was attempting to fight them off. In a statement following his hearing, James Gissing, who was in Thailand with Luke, said he felt police were covering up as it was the death of another foreigner on Koh Tao, referring to the Witheridge and Miller murders. Unfortunately more tragic news from the so called Death Island of Koh Tao occurred recently when on June 4th 2021 the 2 lifeless bodies of a Thai/Indian billionaire couple were found dead in the Jamahkhiri Resort & Spa hotel pool. Regional Surat Thani governor Chatpong Chatphum said the Koh Tao murders had dealt a serious blow to tourism. The crime's brutality amid Koh Tao's insular, backpacker charm caused an international sensation and threatened to further weaken a tourist industry already reeling from the military coup of. I will give a TLDR at the end of this section because it will probably be longer than the story. These and more tips for a Thai domestic flight search in my latest Thailand travel blog, click on the link! The 23-year-old had tweeted this picture on Monday, revealing she was on the island of Koh Tao in Thailand 'I have found an affordable bungalow to move to. solve a crime that made global headlines . They've gone years doing whatever they want, it doesn't matter who knows. This idyllic island in Thailand has long been popular with tourists for its pristine beaches, kaleidoscopic coral reefs and turquoise waters. After living through it for months, I think this conclusion, which was agreed on by many on the island at the time, is the closest to the truth that will ever appear. I was never explicitly told to hold back this information but that was the vibe. However, according to Rhys Bonney, an immigration adviser to expats in Thailand, the legality of the businesses are an extremely grey area. Thai police said a post-mortem examination showed he drowned. L&M brand which were found near the crime scene matched samples . Nick Pearson, from Derby, was found floating in the sea on New Year's Day 2014. The men, apprehended soon after the pair's bodies were found, initially confessed to the crime only to retract their statements amid claims they were extracted by torture. My gf had been on the island 18 months longer than me and is one of those people who just knows everyone. Maybe if it was more common knowledge, the murders wouldn't have happened. You knew who you could trust, you knew who liked to stir up drama etc. Click here for our ongoing coverage of the killings. Will Koh Tao ever be able to get rid of that negative image? Of course tourists get drunk and alcohol makes you do crazy things. In Thailand every business needs to be majority owned by a Thai, usually they owned 51%. For the entire time I was on Koh Tao, there was one bar you avoided. In the end it was stated by the police that it was a tragic accident. Unfortunately a lot of motorbike accidents happen on the island and it sincerely is a Koh Tao safety issue. They lock them up in a BKK prison and torture them for a confession. The judge said on Wednesday the matter would be dealt with on Thursday when the police officer who holds the samples will be present in the court. The investigation will cover the depth of the swimming pool, their health conditions and possible foul play, Mr Puridech said. But remember this only hurts your wallet! Burmese migrant workers crossing the Thai-Myanmar friendship bridge in the bordertown Mae Sot, Thailand. From then on Ko Tao was nicknamed the murder island or the Death Island. Yes, that is more than 10 years of moving around the globe, not staying in one place longer than 2-3 weeks mostly! Taking into account the multiple eye witnesses saying it, the guys reputation and history and aliases for the Burmese guys it's hard to see any other possibility. Koh Tao Mafia truth or myth as a tourist you are not willing to get in touch with any of these things, right? It's the closest I can imagine to what people in the military feel for each other. With crystal clear water and stunning greenery, the Thai island of Koh Tao is seen as a backpacker haven. Or want to know the best hidden bays or a secret sunrise spot? David was either a distance away or hidden by people or sand. I love Koh Tao, but these guys are a blot on this tropical paradise. Traveling makes me a better person with ever day I am on the road. Neill Fronde Wednesday, June 9, 2021. People from India and China died, mostly drowning, every day and no one gave a shit. A corrupt police force was bribed by BARs owner/mafia to lay the blame on anyone else. Post-mortem examinations showed that the young backpackers, who had met on the island while staying at the same hotel, both suffered head wounds and that Hannah had been raped. The Backpacker Murders of Koh Tao. Christina Annesley, 23, was one of the many young Brits who sadly died in Koh Tao. Burmese are treated like shit and no one will miss them, easy target so they chose two random guys. The father of murdered British backpacker Hannah Witheridge has wept as graphic photos of her body lying on a Thai beach were shown in court. Still in doubt whether to travel to Philippines or Thailand? Police claim two men have admitted killing backpackers on Koh Tao island . The Koh Tao Murders may have been a fatal incident on its own, but people got murdered. Since I found out about 12Go Asia, traveling in Thailand become much more convenient. The island is very challenging to navigate as there are a lot of dirt roads and some are really steep. However it was heavily rumoured they were tortured to get a confession, both psychologically and physically. Family of murdered backpackers urge authorities to be 'lenient' when sentencing, Mystery as Brit tourist Luke Miller found dead on notorious Thai holiday island, Thailand beach death: Parents convinced son murdered and his killing covered up to protect tourism, 'They have a LOT in common' Helen Skelton grows close to Strictly pro Vito Coppola after bonding on tour bus - almost one year after rugby star husband left mum-of-three, Interactive map shows exactly where snow could fall in UK as mercury nosedives to -7C, Doctor tells Harry he believes Prince has Attention Deficit Disorder in live Q&A, Kate Garraway shares Derek's final words as he believed he was about to die, Spencer Matthews 'furious' after Disney delays Everest doc as it shows dead bodies, 'I DIDN'T BREAK THE LAW' Matt Hancock tells lawyers he wants immunity on care home deaths during Covid pandemic, Matt Hancock plotted to use new Covid variant to 'frighten the pants off everyone' in leaked WhatsApp, Loose Women star Linda Robson's 'marriage crisis' after hitting 'rough patch', Cyclist pavement killer risks losing home as neighbours break silence, Mrs Brown's Boys to return with four-part miniseries as filming begins soon, Kelsey Parker taking kids to see pop star husband Tom honoured on Dancing on Ice, King Charles 'offers Harry and Meghan palace suite' after kicking them out of Frogmore, Subscribe to Daily Mirror and Sunday Mirror newspapers. More photos here: Sue White after the attack. There were at that time a lot of rumors going around but no one really knows what happened. Yes I know that drinking and driving is totally accepted in Koh Tao, but try to not be one of those diving class students that show up in the morning all bruised because they fell off their motorbike driving drunk back home. In case you do decide to get your own motorbike don't get drunk and then jump on your motorbike. I had no issues with them, they had none with me, but a few of the individuals were friendly enough. Five more three-day sessions will be staggered over the next few weeks, ending on 25 September, after which the judges will rule on the verdict. But don't worry I am not here to promote Koh Tao as a tourist destination or telling youisland hopping in Thailandis completely safe. You never know who you are up to, dont let a small issue ruin your holiday. What To Pack For Thailand | Packing List With 40 Things To Bring. The men, both the smallest in height in the room, wore matching beige outfits. When asked why, we'd say, 'you just don't want to end up at BAR' . Last modified on Wed 29 Nov 2017 09.56 EST A Thai police officer who was called to the scene of the killing of two British tourists on Koh Tao island in September 2014 testified on Wednesday,. Thai people are lovely, but just like in any other tourist destination around the world the taxi drivers in Koh Tao are idiots. He had not been questioned by police - even though officers had his name in their files. We also may change the frequency you receive our emails from us in order to keep you up to date and give you the best relevant information possible. Like during all your travels around the world the golden rule is: use common sense and when you feel something is not right then walk away from the situation! Click here to read about the best things to do in Koh Tao. What's so unbelievable about all of this is that Archie actually convinced a group of friends that killing 7 people would bring baby Craig back from the dead! Saying not much better than slaves wouldn't be an exaggeration. It is not known who released the photos from the crime scene. A Scottish man is being kept in protective custody in Thailand after a photo he took . If there really is no other solution just ask the help of an other random group of tourists. Thai police say the man on the left matches the one seen acting suspiciously on CCTV. Nationwide News Pty Ltd 2023. While most of the millions of tourists who flock to the island for its world-class scuba diving opportunities, lavish resorts and unending sunshine have the time of their lives, a disturbingly high number who visited the island never came home. Having lived on the island for a fair few years at this point, the mafia knew who I was. With such incredible sunsets on the main party beach, the party starts early. My beloved Koh Tao felt it had lost its dignity. The global pandemic stopped me from traveling to Thailand for a while but I was back recently and added some cool activities to my already long list of the best things to do in Koh Tao. In January 2018 a British traveler was found death in a hotel pool along Sairee Beach. Island life is all about flip-flops, bathing suits and funny t-shirts, life is at low pace and many tourists smoke weed. Luke Miller, 24, from the UK. Koh Tao looks like a paradise, but it's known among Brits as 'death island' Credit: Alamy In a new Sky documentary, Death On The Beach, families open up on how they believe Thai police covered up . Two Burmese men charged with the murders of Hannah Witheridge and David Miller went on trial on Wednesday. I dont know if that is law in Thailand but on Koh Tao, the police can make their own laws. May you have any additional questions please leave me a comment below and I am happy to help you out with everything you want to know about Koh Tao island. For any of you who have been to Koh Tao, it was the bar on the far end of the yellow brick road, past the Go Pro shop in Sairee. Whatever the reason I didn't see him. This time was different. 2 minutes read. He had no broken bones. Resting in the Gulf of Thailand, a two-hour ferry ride north of Koh Samui, Koh Tao is best known for its incredible marine life, which over the years has attracted a small but buoyant expat. I simply want to give you some more information about the safety issues in Thailand based on my personal experiences as I lived in Koh Tao and traveled around Thailand uncountable times since 2008. Was everyone on Meth in a mafia? I regret that the pro bono defense team does not have the $5,500 budget necessary to pay for a proper translation into English. Valentina Novozhyonova, 23, from Russia. It's pretty common knowledge that torture doesn't get you the truth, it gets you what you want to hear. I know these people. They accuse Thai police of improperly collecting evidence at the crime scene, intimidation and abuse of witnesses and suspects which the police deny and not sharing key forensic evidence with the defence, a move they say seriously impedes a fair trial. If Koh Tao is part of your Thailand itinerary there are a couple things you have to keep in mind, but this basically counts for every tourist destination in Thailand and in the world. I have traveled around the islands extensively and would love to help you plan your trip to Thailand. Westerners were ignored as long as you didn't cause any problems. Elise Dallemagne, 30, of Belgium. What really happened there? A short time later, Ratish returned to the resort to find the bodies of his parents floating in the water. On 15 September, the bodies of Hannah Witheridge and David Miller were found on Sairee Beach on the island of Koh Tao, between 4 and 5 am, a few hours after their deaths. They'd start fining people or confiscating bikes in this week to get some extra cash for the holidays. This search engine for Thailand transportation also shows you all the available options in one overview. Get email updates with the day's biggest stories. I trusted the people I called friends with my life, literally. There is a big chance you will fall in love with this little paradise. Although I was living on the island at the times of the murders and even celebrating my birthday on the same beach a couple hours before the Koh Tao Murders happened, I never ran into any issue on the island ever. Due to how tiny the island is, and the population of people who Westerners would interact with, maybe 1000 people, you formed relationships very quickly. I understand that because I am a sporty and fit 1.86 meter (6'1) tall Dutch guy, I might not be the best benchmark for writing an article about how safe it is to travel to Koh Tao. These are the first pictures of the British tourists murdered on a paradise beach in Thailand. Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo . After 2 big trips around the world in my early travel days, I am now already continuously traveling the world for more than 3,700 days! But they later retracted their confessions, saying they had been tortured and threatened with death by their interrogators. But among some foreigners, Koh Tao has taken on a more sinister reputation. This is just a backup page for the Youtube channel, plus some stuff that I would like to share. This island paradise is notorious for the unexplained deaths of people who visit there. Grace Beahm Alford/The Post and Courier/Pool Grace Beahm Alford/The Post and Courier/Pool Diagram of crime scene. Michele claims that Elise used a fake name of "Elise Dubuis" to check into the Triple B Bungalows next to Mae Head Pier on Koh Tao as she travelled via the island on a ferry bound for Chumphon province on her route back to capital Bangkok. It was revealed yesterday that on April 28 Elise became the latest tourist found dead on the island of Koh Tao. No staff were in the area when their deaths happened, Koh Tao police chief Kriangkrai Kraikaew said. As always you can unsubscribe at any time. He didn't get any change, he kicked off wanting his money back. It just doesn't go away.". koh tao murders crime scene photos Matthew McConaugheys wife was among the passengers on board a Lufthansa flight struck by severe turbulence and has described the chaos. Apparently, she's also known as "Verna White". The young backpacker had been living at a yoga and tantra retreat, which neighboured the party island of Koh Phangan, in between travelling round Asia, for two years. Thai police arrest men accused of murdering Brits on Koh Tao Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo were sentenced to death for the killings. It will always be you against the island. On Tuesday, new details emerged as police investigated the death of a wealthy billionaire industrialist and his wife on Ko Tao last Friday. Hannah Witheridge and David Miller were brutally murdered while staying on Koh Tao. Police officer gives testimony about bodies of Hannah Witheridge and David Miller who were found dead on a beach on Koh Tao island in September 2014. A Thai police officer who was called to the scene of the killing of two British tourists on Koh Tao island in September 2014 testified on Wednesday, the first of dozens of witnesses who will appear in court during a three-month trial of two Burmese men. Why they would spout this information, I can only guess. Elise's heartbroken mother, Michele van Egten, has now proclaimed she does not believe police account of events. One of the first famous crime scene photos was taken on May 5, 1903, in the home of a Parisian woman named Madame Debeinche who had been murdered. This is one of the crime scene photos from the attack on Sue White by Gerald Arthur Lee on 11/05/06 in Cherokee County, GA. The Koh Tao Murders happened just a couple hours after I was celebrating my birthday on the same beach in the very early morning of September 15, 2014. Just simply never accept drinks from strangers and keep your own drink closely. They were the boat boys, cleaners, shelf stackers, dish washers etc and were treated horrendously by the Thai population. Think twice before getting yourself into trouble! Once youve been living there for a while, youll turn a blind eye to some pretty sketchy stuff, says Mike Earley, 30, from New Zealand, who spent six months on the island working as a DJ. A number of possible reasons. Koh Tao has already been struggling with a very bad reputation after the Koh Tao murders in September 2014 when a British couple was killed and left behind on Sairee Beach. This news blows up in the UK. of brutal murders during press conference today . If you would like to be prepared for your trip to Thailand then have a look at my guide telling you everything you need to know when you travel to Thailand: visas, safety issues, scams, the culture, things to do and things NOT to do, the best national parks, about the street food, the travel adapter you need, the vaccinations and many more things. They are also being bribed, they are under intense pressure from the British government for any kind of 'justice', they want it pinned on a Burmese guy so the Thai reputation doesn't plummet, the police have planted fake evidence or they just don't care. I had woken up between 4:30-5:30, as my day at work started at either 5 or 6. Maybe a week before, a Thai guy jumped off a 5ish story building whilst on it and died immediately, no tourist knew about this. The mother told Der Farang magazine that she had been promised an autopsy report - but has still not been delivered. But human rights groups have called the mens convictions profoundly disturbing amid allegations of mishandled forensics and claims by the men Thai police had tortured them into confessing. One of them was at the scene and I went to talk to him. This bar also was the main hangout of the ladyboys. There are serious doubts about the evidence linking Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun, both 21, with the brutal slaying of David Miller, 24, and rape and murder of Hannah Witheridge, 23, on the Thai Gulf . The murders on the popular dive island of Koh Tao drew intense media attention from across the world. For the around 10k people on the island a day, there were 3 police officers who only appeared around holidays. A cruise employee has had his contract terminated after he was allegedly seen filming women from a female bathroom. Michelle, who says the death would have gone unnoticed if not for her public appeal for help, said: "I do not believe what the police have told us. The vibe on the island was very tense. The first is they had an intimate moment in public. 0. Horrible stories from an island that is well known for its laid-back vibe! But behind paradise lies a grubby underbelly where, according to one report, there are "enough suspicious disappearances to warrant the island its own CSI franchise". The Murders The two people killed were Hannah Witheridge and David Miller. Scuba diving is the main tourist drag and when the scuba lessons are over the partying starts. She was fun, honest and loved life. Koh Tao Murders: No DNA match with Warot in first test results By Coconuts Bangkok Oct 31, 2014 | 5:40pm Bangkok time Preliminary results today found no link between Warot Tuwichian and DNA police say was collected from the scene of two murders on Koh Tao last month. Another thing that should actually be clear is to never walk away from a party alone. This story was huge at the time in the UK as they were both British. The body of his 55-year-old mother was only found later when rescue services arrived at the scene. This story was huge at the time in the UK as they were both British. CAUTION, CRIME SCENE PHOTOS! One of the many tourist deaths in Thailand per year. Also, a documentary here: Surviving Evil: Wolves at the Door Or by navigating to the user icon in the top right. Besides that, islands are like small communities and they all know each other. Something went wrong, please try again later. Blood on the floor of the feedroom where Paul Murdaugh was shot dead. Mafia ran the place, Meth was becoming a plague amongst them. The rest were mafia. The victims have been named by Thai authorities as 23-year-old Hannah Witheridge from Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, and 24-year-old David Miller from Jersey, in the Channel Islands. Should I really travel to Koh Tao? If you buy 2 beers with the equivalent of $10, you aren't getting your $6-7 back. It mostly depends on how you behave yourself. Fire show boys were named notorious, however I never ran into anyone that this actually happened to. A small thing for you to do, but it can make a big difference for me. There was a bar you avoided due to potential violence occurring. Theres no proof because you cant get proof because the authorities are corrupt.. Let me help you as in my article Travel to Thailand or Philippines I compare my two favorites island destinations! As the love for Koh Tao and Thailand is real, you might think I am biased writing this blog. Why are government officials going along with this with no/circumstantial evidence at best? If it no longer meets these criteria, you can reassess it. First off let me tell you that if you think Thailand is dangerous for tourists, you are wrong! The bar owner was fairly high up in one of the mafias and had killed a few Burmese people previously so it didn't surprise me. All times AEDT (GMT +11). The teen's body was found seven days after the boating accident. Murder On Koh Tao: The Untold Story - Crime Documentary | Real Life Stories Documentaries Reality TV - Real Life Stories Documentaries 677 subscribers Subscribe 79 views 9 months ago Show. We also may change the frequency you receive our emails from us in order to keep you up to date and give you the best relevant information possible.
Shekinah Net Worth, Articles K