In any event, its change, and change within change, moving from Burley to Latakia to Turkish the wisdom of the Orientals, coupled with the taste of the ages. 3 Stars, at the least. Love the pressed bricks that lie waiting in the can when it is opened. 2 thumbs up on this. Probably would go nice with a good, single malt Scotch. The tobacco is a very nice krumble kake, with a very smoky and somehow musty or vinegar smell. I received a free sample of this with an online order, and it quickly became my favorite. Upon opening a small sample given to me by father, I noted the sample was about as hard as concrete. Enter 64 in quantity box for 4 pounds. I can't imagine that response in the morning or afternoon. Pirate kake is no exception. It burns slow and lights easy. In any case, after finishing a bowl I often felt sated for quite some time. This is the first time I ever smelled a Latakia tin / pouch note. The crumble kake really helps the flavor profile and to keep the moisture higher so it doesn't dry out. Three stars for PK. This is an exceptional tobacco. I can't get over how smooth it is. Do not be scared of the high Latakia content. I like this so much! Sipping at this one, it didn't get too overbearing in its intensity of flavor. Burns all the way down and leaves the pipe dry and clean. I find the first 1/3 of the bowl a bit harsh and smokey, but then it settles down into a rich creamy smoke that is on par with Penzance in my book. I find it starts to mellow out a little after six months so I keep a stock on hand for aging. I took the advice from one of the other commenters on this page and decided to spruce it up with some rum. This is Lat strong, so if you don't like Latakia, take a pass. Cornell & Diehl Pirate Kake Pipe Tobacco $11.90 - $58.65. Pipe Used: Stanwell Bjarne Nielsen, Peterson, Corncob. Cornell & Diehl Pirate Kake 16 Oz Bag Cornell and Diehl. Add to cart. When I first tried this, I thought it was disgusting. I'll keep some on hand from now on. of this strange blend. I must confess I bought this tobacco because I liked the name and the graphic. The smoky flavour is nice and develops a slightly salty, mineral taste. I'll also add that this tobacco stays with you for a long, long time. After i try PK the latakia jurney begin, keep searching other latakia bland that better than PK but i couldn't find any. Being a Pirate Kake fan I'm starting to love some of the Captain Earle's offerings more and more. Glad I gave it a shot and a second try. Cornell & Diehl Pirate Kake Premium Pipe Tobacco Share Tweet Product Stock MSRP Price Qty Cart Pirate Kake 2oz Tin $11.25 $10.99 Save 2% + - Description Details A smooth, robust blend with LOTS (75%!) Above all, smoke it slow. Unlike Billy Budd, where cigar leaves are blended, Pirate Kake is always a delicious blend, both before and after meals. I'm not quite ready to stock up on this one, but I will certainly buy more in the future. I smoke mostly Aromatics and got this as a free sample. (how many times did I say smoky so far? Still very high. ORIGINAL: Well now I know what a lat bomb is. This is latakia. It is impossible to keep lit. I tend to think either C&D is using some very old Latakia or that this blend is not 70% Latakia. The smell when i first opened lid was a leather like, chemical vinyl type smell. It is a spicy, full-flavour Latakia mixture accompanied by Turkish to add a significant Oriental twist. The flavor is smooth and fulfilling. The orientals make a nice showing with a nice spicy finnish. And when that's depleted, I'm getting another one. Pirate Kake comes pressed, probably to get the Turkish and burley to combine with the Latakia's smokey flavor. The Latakia is pretty much is the main driver, and the orientals do give some tea like qualities. I would truly smoke this over a lot of other sought after blends. After initially trying this in a narrow billiard for the first two-three bowls smoked in an enclosed area, I tried it in a couple wider gauge pipes, a Custombilt with a more conical burn chamber and a BBB Two Thousand with a similar, though smaller bowl, out on my rear deck. you may even be rogered! Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth. I am a Latakia lover. Worth a try if you love the dark stuff, but be careful with it - it can knock you back. 61. The smoke leans a little further to the sweet than the smokiness, and I can definitely pick up on the Perique and Orientals more than I had anticipated. The tobacco came apart quite easily when loading up the pipe. Found another chewy block of this magnificent cake at the great Jack's Tobacco Shop in Milwaukee. Our Little River, SC showroom, Low Country Pipe & Cigar, is open 10am-7pm US/Eastern Monday - Saturday at 2 Hwy 90 East, Little River SC, 29566. Immediately I enjoyed it, Latakia amount is high, and tastes excellent. Lights easy & stays lit, great smokey flavor to the bottom of the bowl, for me this is top notch tobacco, but as I stated it is very rich in Latakia which puts some people off. It is more expensive, by about $15-20 a pound, but worth it. Maybe I will try mixing it with something. I have to admit I sort of got into the spirit of this blend and my apologies for what follows. Unlike Cornell and Diehls Tuggle Hall which you have to keep re-stuffing back in there. perfectly! The BB seems to burn better too, for some reason.Enjoy, you huge latakia fans.there's nothing else. The small amount of Turkish and Burley stands up evenly to the seventy five percent of Latakia. Latakia itself doesn't carry much strength so if you're looking for a nicotine wallop then you won't find it here. Latakia blends are my favorites. This blend burns slowly and is exceptionally cool. Theyre just a better smoke. The flavor is one-dimensional and lacks any nuance. Highly Recommended! Similar Blends: Creosote soaked camel's dung.. UPDATE 12/20 I am not one to question the manufacturer or to doubt the voracity of other reviewers but this tobacco is one that I must break my norm Disclaimers: this is an art not a science, tobacco ages and flavors may change, all people taste things differently, etc, etc, etc 70% + Latakia means one thing: Latakia is what you taste Burley as a base on its best day isn't overpowering Latakia in any dimension except Vitamin N. I have read hundreds of reviews from a few of the TR prolific reviewers, and their variance in opinion on topics like this is remarkable. Overall, I do recommend it for what it is. While I did enjoy this with a good jolt of black rum on the side at a party, I'm not sure it's a daily kind of smoke. you declare. Age When Smoked: Fresh off the Pirate Ship. Orlik Golden Sliced Pipe Tobacco Tins . The reason for this was a combination of my observations and the many warnings from fellow reviewers about its heavy-to-horrid Latakia content. It strikes me that this is a good blend to build off of and I'll report back when I do but for now it's just lacks the depth to be interesting. __________ must downgrade to 3 stars due to certain dullness after some tins smoked, or maybe compared to Penzance. The nic-hit is medium. I am on my second tin now. It is true to its word, but C&D could tinker the blend and do better. That's what this is. Pirate Kake is much less powerful than I thought that it would be. Please keep it coming. Some say its unidimensional. Has a pleasant, lingering after taste and strong room note. Slow and careful smoking, as noted, will reveal a more complex flavor character than is on the surface. Next time I mixed in a little more and then a little more and a little more and then I ran out. Dont be put off by the 75% Latakia, as this smokes smooth as silk. This is awesome. Is almost pure latakia! However, I didn't find the same results in smaller pipes or even my briars so I might have just had an off day. Historic volume and value sizes, company and brand market shares. I was impressed with their giving it to me; it was a very attractive perfect little brick that I kept on my desk for a many months, just admiring its geometry and composition. Takes a light well and burns with few relights. A few friends and I recently tried this blend. To many, this would be a heresy on the order of combining several single-malt scotches (perish the thought) or good wines. Similar Blends: Mac Baren - HH Vintage Syrian, Solani - 763: White and Black. Pipe Used: Peterson 1910, Savinelli Autograph, Stanwell 30. Its a great product. Mind you, its a good mixture; smooth and heavily smoky. I smoked a one ounce block of Pirate Kake in shot order now, in a variety of pipes. This is a cool drawing blend that I cannot get to bite. . This is primo condemental that is extremely smooth and creamy with smoke so thick you can eat it. Life is a novel by PKD. I can't detect other content in it, than latakia and some latakia blended with a pinch of latakia. I also had trouble keeping it lit, and it was not the easiest to rub out from the rock hard cake bar it comes in. January 16, 2023. It's highly recommended for Latakia fanatics or smokers who like their mixtures on the monochromatic side, without too many taste changes during their smoke. Smoothness and richness of the smoke is here in good measure. I do note this is good for something different. Moisture level is perfect right out of the brick, rub-out is easy, and it burns properly. Pipe Used: A bunch because it's a go to blend for me. . Really enjoy it anytime of day mostly in the morning with a cup of coffee. The closest an honest gentleman can get to smoking straight Latakia. Highly recommended. Smoky and tastygreat room note and a delight to smoke! Ok here it is pirate kake by cornell and Diehl. The burley and orientals are lost in the sea of Latakia, but I suppose they temper that robust smoke to remind you that you arent smoking a bowl of str aight Latakia. After trying a few Latakia blends I thought I might be up to the task of trying this tobacco. My wife thought I was burning tires. Smokes cool, lights easy, the latakia/cavendish/turkish blend is astonishing, I taste every component, but since it was pressed they are in such a harmonious balance. Pipe Used: Latakia dedicated briars mostly. I enjoyed the tobacco for what it's worth, but felt completely satiated for a while. The age has definitely blended the strong latakia toget her into the others. I love Latakia. Let me share with you that upon trying to stand after about a half an hour of smoking, I nearly fell over. While for me Penzance is for special occasions, Pirate Kake is the perfect last smoke of the day for every day. I managed to fumble a piece and I managed to drop it and it shattered like glass. Purchased From: JR Cigars, Statesville, NC. Indeed most of the tobacco is black, just a little bit of gold leaves. If you're a pipe enthusiast looking for a show to listen to on the go or while you're kicking back enjoying a bowl, this is definitely the place for you. I opened the bag and was greeted by a very rich, heavy pleasant smoky flavor that was leading this charge of flavors. A latakia-heavy cake? First mistake: too much Latakia. I always load my pipe the night before and let it sit overnight. It is too much, after a few minutes of it my senses numbed. When Im in the mood for a massive Lat hit, I reach for this one! Occasional notes of dark baker's chocolate, hickory, and brine. | Sitemap, Cornell & Diehl Haunted Bookshop Pipe Tobacco, Cornell & Diehl Black Frigate Pipe Tobacco, Cornell & Diehl Autumn Evening Pipe Tobacco, Cornell & Diehl Star of the East Flake Pipe Tobacco, Cornell & Diehl Bow Legged Bear Pipe Tobacco. I've been smoking english blends since the mid 90's. And I would recommend it smoked with a dark beer. If you receive this confirmation repeatedly, you will need to enable cookies so that your response can be saved. For me, however, Pirate Kake is nothing short of a ridiculous, unbalanced mess. The flavor and aroma don't have that intoxicating factor that blends like Nightcap or Constellation have. If you don't care for latakia then definitely steer clear of this one, but I for one can't imagine a piper not enjoying this smoke. Small pipes just do not do this blend justice. Pirate kake is popular for a reason! Pipe Used: MM general, royal meer, savinelli 616, I guess I must be a real Lat fiend too. I'll stick with more basic English/Balkan blends that use Latakia as a secondary player; not the only player. It's alottalatakia, ALOTTALATAKIA!. Something consistant with New Castle or darker. I could not cut this with my fairly substantial pocketknife, only whittle on it, just like a hunk of decking. I do recommend to those that really like their more potent English blends. For anybody who hasn't tried combining a strong Latakia blend with a nice raw carrot, I highly recommend. I am getting the slightly salty, minerally taste, that other reviewers mentioned. Add to Wish List. Actually Latakia on its own is quite cool and smooth; however, monochromatic. Conclusion: A very interesting and heavy blend. The little black clump of tobacco you get in the tin is relatively easy to work with, but that's small redemption for the Latakia overload that follows a crumble, a load, and a light. My 6 year old piece had a nice oily sheen to the eye and a few spots of plume. I intend to smoke half of my stockpile fresh, but I'm also looking forward to how PK will taste with a little age, and the Latakia softened a little. I always welcome this unique cake cut from C&D. It sounds awful, but it wasn't. It's not so much of that "campfire" Latakia taste as it is that mossy, damp, woody, nature-like taste. PCALHO. This would be good broken up and mixed with an overly tangy red virginia. The burley is noticeable not so much for the taste but more so the nicotine hit that it helps provide. I would HIGHLY recommend this blend to anyone who wants a latakia fix in a smooth, light english presentation. It was a bit boring as there was no distinct taste for my buds. update July 2014** I decided to change the blend type of this tobacco to other primarily because I don't believe it is an English blend due to its high amount of Latakia. block, PK is a true bargain. This C&D offering does at the very least beg one question. Pipe Used: vauen, Savinelli, stanwell, brebbia, peterson. My wife likes the smell of this tobacco the best of all the tobacco I have, your wife probably won't. Similar Blends: Westminster, Star of The East Flake. Totally my own fault : ). I don't get much sweetness, but it's not astringent either. This is probablly one of the smoothest blends despite it's overall strength there is. Leaves my pipes dry as a bone. Enjoy! This was the first real pipe tobacco I ever purchased. There's something about the experience that's like drinking neat tea. Otherwise a lovely tobacco and well worth a try for anyone who likes Latakia and definitely a tobacco you can use to put a bit of latakia in another DiY home blend or similar. sigh. It was rare for me to pick out anything but the lat. I don't think you could find a fuller tasting blend that is this smooth and soft on the tongue. Offering a wide assortment of styles and flavors, Nakhla really is one of the best brands without doubt. If you are a latakia freak, as I am, then I will venture to say you are going to like this blend a lot. the 75% latakia will stomp you; like being taken prisoner by blackbeard himself. I like it. At first puff, you may think this will be a one-dimensional smoke, but soon the latakia smooths off to a very rich, heady, slightly sweet smoke. Tobacco. Updated 8/10/12 I've just tried, Engine 99, back to back with, Pirate Kake, both bulks, and I find PK better . And so I will begin with the tin note. I am really starting to sound old (58). A rich warm real tobacco flavour bath. Whatever. This mixture is now on my favourites list. Dont get me wrong, its certainly a lat bomb, and smokiness abounds, but its a soft, smooth, mild creamy smoke with a cedar like incense quality. My Favorite Latakia forward blend, not for the smoker who only likes a touch of latakia, it has enough Burley and Virginias to keep it interesting, but the Latakia will take over. Its one of the best, Very robust and authentic tobacco english..strong..wow. Now this blend is a real treat though because the burley in it. Not all that much one can say about a 70% Latakia blend, but the real coolness of this is in the presentation. Highly recommended if you like coffee with your pipes. Thats how good this stuff is. , . The aftertaste is yummy smokey incensy latakia. Without question, the different sized chunks of tobacco, with different blends of leaf, is at the root of the many different sub-flavors that manifest during the bowl. Continuando il fumo pieno, cremoso ma sempre e decisamente monocromatico, un solo tabacco prevale su tutti: il Latakia. But if you like the dirty, earthy, smokey taste of Lagavulin or Laphroig, then this might be just the ticket. The other tobaccos are added to simply smooth off the rougher edges, as opposed to smoking it straight. I would not reccomend it as a first smoke but after a month or so give it a shot. This bulk tobacco came as one large slab, with sharp-cut edges, like it had been hewn from a monster brick. Whilst very heavy with Latakia it sips light and smooth, not at all like the Latakia laden English and Balkan blends I'm more familiar with. When you open this tin your instantly brought around the campfire just an awesome smokeyness! I don't notice the Burley at a sip, which is fine, since I'm not a Burley fan. Opening the tin, I receive a lovely aroma of Latakia and that's about it and it is plenty. When I first got back into smoking pipes, a local cigar shop was getting rid of the pipe products he had - apparently not enough pipes smokers in the area. Very smoky, leathery, and herby. I have smoked through 6oz and have 4 left so we shal see how PK fairs in the next 6 months. It lights easily and stays lit. If you enjoy latakia forward blends that bring hints of incense, I do highly recommend this one. There is a sort of vague sweetness somewhere in the background, but smoking this is sort of like falling face-first into the moist remains of the campfire you doused the night before while sucking on a charcoal lozenge. Taste was consistent. I'll be honest, its re ally not for me. Pirate Kake starts off tasting like a lightly salted, buttered biscuit, the butter making a creamy filling for the pastry. It certainly doesnt disappoint and is a wonderful smoke. A tongue numbing iodine note remains after smoking. Does water soak into a grit on your stove faster than the whole grit eating world on your stove? For instance, theres plenty, and I mean plenty of dark lush tasting latakia leaf here. I find the blend very relaxing and I am still working through the sample ounce I purchased. I love it! First thing this tobacco is a fantastic smoke And at $25 a pound this is a marvel of modern, um. I think it's loaded with all sorts of nuances. Full taste. I bought the English sampler of C&D, a came across this blend. There's no finesse nor subtlety here. The Latakia is certainly noticeable, but somehow does not completely take the bowl over. But there is something very special in there that gives me a level of satisfaction thats hard to find. The day is upon us.. good blend. This is a premium smoking tobacco that i highly recommend. Four stars and full sail ye swabs. I must say that I was surprised at the smoothness of this blend considering its very high latakia content. Well, I have to admit, Latakia and Turkish tobaccos smell, well, yeah maybe like the musky lather of a salted slave. Im sipping on a bowl right now and I can honestly say this is the best pipe tobacco Ive ever had. But every once in a while I crave nothing but that smokey goodness you can only get with a "lat-bomb&qu ot;. Smokes slow and cool. Opening the packet, it smells like a BBQ smokehouse. Cornell & Diehl Pirate Kake Premium Pipe Tobacco. Le acompaa el Burley y dicen que Orientales, que no puedo apreciar, excepto en el carcter de sta labor. Patiently waiting to wreak your wife's opinion of pipe smoking in the house. I should have reviewed this tobacco long ago. It gets one dimensional thru the bowl, in that Latakia dominates the experience and ultimately numbs the senses too much. It lends itself well to smoking out of a cob, in my experience. I had ordered the Virginia sampler about 3 years ago, and did like the Pirate cake best so ordered an 8 oz. . If dirty harry smoked a pipe pirate kake is what he would smoke no room for wimps here. Initial Flavor: Latakia! One of the best tobacco's I have tried.Superior in every way.it has an interesting sour note in a good way. Who the hell could detect any casing or topping in this? I also consider in the same level of quality as classics: 965, Dunhill Standard Mixture ad Presbyterian. But, frankly, I just don't enjoy it. . Smooth, spicy, with some of the thickest, whitest smoke I have seen. Slightly sweet, smokey, a bit of complexity from the orientals, very little bite. And this from a lady who smokes Balkan and English blends herself. I've readjusted the ratings and highly recommend this blend very much. Really good if you're hungry too. Pipe Used: Perfect for classic Bent apple or bulldog, Age When Smoked: Doesn't matter, never changes, Purchased From: Burlington Tobbacanists (Alberta, Canada). Maybe not a daily smoke for most people, but definitely something to have on hand. Boring, one dimensional lat. I arrive at the front door of Valhalla, ring the bell and Odin greets me at the door. The tobacco seems dry enough when being rubbed out but is hard to keep lit without drying. It is what it is and I enjoy it every time I choose it. I almost felt as though I was smoking a straight bowl of latakia. A wonderful last bomb. Nakhla offers everything from traditional tobaccos like zaghloul, a blend . This stuff is ridiculously good. An occasional excess has its place in life, and Pirate Kake is an excess. I don't smoke pirate kake very often but a few times a month I do get a CRAVING for it, and it always delivers. I find it creamy, smoky and wonderfully perfect. I just can't say enough about this tobacco except, try it for yourself, it is pure heaven!!! The bowl of my pipe is staying absolute cool to the touch. a booming amount of latakia, some burley and orientals. In Pirate Lake it dominates and it's good, its smooth, smokey and peaty. On reflection I doubt the Lat is Syrian either, I was probably confused by the other Orientals. The included Turkish is also very high quality and the perfect compliment. Thick and creamy with a bit if a sweet perfume-esque flavor to it. Definitely a strong peaty highland single malt like Laphroaig or peat monster. This blend is a Latakia lovers dream in the scene that IT IS A LAT BOMB and i like it. This is one you should try. Once you are habituated to it, you are pleasantly surprised from time to time by the sweetness that comes through, possibly as an artifact of your palate adjusting to the overwhelming flavor of the Latakia. Its toasty, slightly nutty, with a mild briny tartness underlying everything. However, when the mood strikes, Pirate Kake may just hit the spot. PK has the reputation for being a Lat bomb, but it is actually a nice and smooth smoke. Pirate Kake, on the other hand, it pure Cyprian smokiness without the coolness. I bet this would be more popular if it didn't have the Jolly Roger and the mention of 75% Latakia content on the tin. Pirate Kake is like a car accident that you can't take your taste buds away from. for latakia lovers only and every one else too! Brings me to another time and place. Flavor - Yep, that's latakia! Taste is a bit like a cigar for me. Presentation: A hearty, dark dense block. I had thought to contrast it with McClelland's Syrian Full Balkan (acknowledging differences between a ribbon vs. a pressed product). There is a dash of cavendish in there but just to smooth it a little. The Cavendish mellows out the obtrusive, musty aromas and settles the blend for smooth smoke - exactly as in Pirate Kake. 2023 TobaccoPipes.com The initial flavors are of sweet latakia and incense like orientals. Earthy, smoky, salty, leathery and full. Pirate Kake is very smooth and it produces copious amounts of fragrant smoke with consistent flavor. Remarkable! Both have huge ammounts of latakia. This is a hefty stout LATAKIA, probally Syrian the way it is good and SMOKEY. Definitely a blen d I refuse to ever run out of. Even then it's a very nice smoke. Opening the tin reveals a dark brown block that looks like a brownie. Still, it's a pretty impressive cake and it pairs best with a cup of two day old black coffee (which I'm also fond of), or a guinness. This blend is the same thing as sticking a bottle of Ghost Pepper hot sauce on a table full of men who have something to prove to each other. And that is how i know i have a 5 star smome on my hands. Used to smoke this semi regularly years ago. when the tin was opened but that subsided to the sour apple and plum notes being stronger, especially after transferring to a jar. Its not the most pleasant smell. I enjoy it with a strong black coffee. If their is a smoother English out there, I have yet to find it. Great work C and D. With the description of a 75% Latakia blend, I expected this tobacco to be nothing but the dark leaf and put off ordering it for a long time. Many tobaccos with half as much bill themselves as "heavy" blends. De vitamina N va justita, no me resulta para nada agresiva en ese aspecto. PK arrived as a brick or block. The Creosote flavor is there, with a slight nutty undertone on occasion. You have to appreciate what Latakia brings to the table to enjoy Pirate Kake. The process is something like consulting the I Ching each sip of smoke is a new slice of life, each new line builds a hexagram. I enjoyed Pirate Kake, and when this is gone, I plan on getting more. I have a Savinelli 320 and a Peterson System Standard that I ONLY smoke Pirate Kake in.
Bergen County Sheriff Sale List, Articles P